Honestly, I’m of the opinion of ‘take it or leave it’ when it comes to the Oscars. The Academy isn’t out of touch per se, but as a female screenwriter, I feel left out to say the least. Obviously the dream is to win an oscar; that’s the American film industry thing, but there’s a part of me that’s convinced I may never get there because of the way women and POC have been snubbed in the past. This year was no different of course, but there were a few great flashes.
And because I like fashion, I’m starting off with fashion. Because fashion is fun.
- Janelle Monàe! Oh that hooded gown! My heart stopped! Maybe it’s because I have a massive crush on Janelle Monàe though and want to be her friend… that might be a factor.
- Honorable Mention: Joanne Tucker. I have no idea who she is but she was with Adam Driver (apparently his wife?) and had a really cool, really pretty dress.
Worst Dressed: (Tied)
- Renee Zellweger – so boring! I love me some one shouldered gowns, but this was just too plain. It’s the Oscars. Come on!
- Lucy Boynton – not boring enough?? What was going on there? Seemed kind of matronly, which is a shame.
- Every win for Parasite and Jojo Rabbit! What a phenomenal night for everyone with a brain and taste! I’m beyond ecstatic because Taika Waititi is one of my favorite directors and Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite is such an outstanding piece of cinema.
- Ryan Seacrest’s shoe cumberbunds… talk about out of touch?
- Eminem… just in general. He’s still a thing??